[CentOS] Variable assigned to grep output - missing letter n!

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:50:19 UTC 2011

2011/7/20 Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>:
> On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 03:23:58 PM Sean Carolan wrote:
> [snip]
>> Where did all the letter n's go?
>
> I can't duplicate the problem here on a CentOS 5.6 box.  What locale are you set to?  Here's what I get (note that a copy from the e-mail you sent embedded newlines, which had to be stripped out (one of the many things xargs makes trivially easy) to get the result....):

Here's a simpler example, with a single line in the file:

[scarolan at server:~]$ cat loremipsum.txt
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. n n n n n
lots of letter n!

[scarolan at server:~]$ myvar=$(grep Lorem loremipsum.txt)

[scarolan at server:~]$ echo $myvar
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, co sectetur adipisci g elit.
lots of letter  !

Weird huh?