[CentOS] CentOS 6 PXE boot: Unable to download the kickstart file

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Wed Jul 20 20:55:49 UTC 2011

Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:
>>> Is CentOS 6 assuming NFSv4 by default perhaps?
>> According to the RHEL 6.0 Release Notes it is:
>>
>> "Mounting a file system via NFS now defaults to NFSv4."
>
> Yes, this sounds like the correct explanation!  Our RHEL5.6 PXE/TFTP/NFS
> server is certainly configured for NFSv3.  I haven't explored the NFSv4
> approach though.
>
> How can we tweak the CentOS6 Kickstart installation to explicitly
> request an NFSv3 service in the PXE config file:
>
>      kernel CentOS-6-i386/vmlinuz
>      append load_ramdisk=1 initrd=CentOS-6-i386/initrd.img network
> ks=nfs:130.226.86.4:/u/rpm/kickstart/ks-centos-6-clean-i386.cfg
>
> To rephrase my question: Where do we find documentation for the vmlinuz
> append flags shown above, in particular documentation of the ks=... flags?
>
> Hopefully there'll be some way to force an NFSv3 mount in stead of the
> default NFSv4?  Or perhaps we need to use http: and stop using nfs: with
> CentOS6?

I would suggest using NFSv4 on all of your servers. It needs only one
port open on the firewall, tcp 2049 and I think it is better solution
security wise (if I remember correctly).

I started to use NFSv4 from the start on the CentOS 5.x and never had
any problems. Why not upgrade when opportunity presented it self.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...