[CentOS] fyi: RHEL 5.7 is out

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Thu Jul 21 14:40:39 UTC 2011

On 7/21/2011 8:53 AM, Alain Péan wrote:
> Le 21/07/2011 14:47, Eric Viseur a écrit :
>> Granted CentOS 4 continued getting updates while CentOS 5 was out, I
>> guess we can hope this will continue with CentOS 5 getting updates
>> while CentOS 6 is now out.
> There were two versions of RHEL that were supported, 4.x and 5.x. For a
> short time, there are three (4.x, 5.x and 6.x). But in February 2012,
> 4.x support will end, and there will again only two versiosn to support.
>
> I don't know if there will another 4.x (4.10) release after 4.9.
>
> Alain

If I'm not mistaken, CentOS at one point was providing 3.X, 4.X and 5.X.
3.X ended at the EOL as set by upstream, just as it should and just as
CentOS has stated in their policies/commitments. I expect that 4.X will
follow that same path, will all updates/upgrades done until the
predefined EOL, again as set by upstream. 5 and 6 should go down that
same path. So, look to upstream for EOLs on your version of CentOS and
expect to do a rebuild of your system at that point. This is one of the
beauties of how upstream operates and what CentOS emulates. Rest at ease.

If upstream holds true to its aimed for goals, I would predict we might
see 4.11 or even 4.12 before it goes EOL. But that is just a guess based
on quarterly updates that sometimes aren't exactly out on the third
month. Gee, I have a bit of work to do. I think I still have like 4
version 4 systems running. One will be moved to 6 over the next couple
of weeks... the rest are easy in comparison.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502