[CentOS] managing a rack full of centos servers

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Thu Jul 21 15:36:17 UTC 2011

--On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:02:42 PM -0700 RC <cooleyr at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:07:06 -0600 Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org> wrote:

>> It should be considered as complementing the automated config
>> management tools like cfengine et al, not as a replacement for
>> them (they're doing different jobs).
>
> That's not entirely fair.  A little shell scripting and pdsh and pdcp
> can certainly do everything cfengine/puppet can do

I wasn't referring to pdsh/pdcp; I was referring to pconsole.  The
reason I said complementing is that sometimes it is good to have
stuff under a configuration management system like cfengine/puppet,
but sometimes you need to run ad-hoc commands, in an identical
fashion, on lots of similar machines, which pconsole is good at
(subject to the caveats I previously mentioned).

I made no comments on pdsh/pdcp at all, and make no claims on where
it fits in the spectrum.

Devin