[CentOS] Memory Usage in Top and System Monitor‏

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Thu Jul 21 18:32:20 UTC 2011

On 07/20/2011 07:09 PM, Michael McNulty wrote:
> I think I found my problem. I did not realize using /dev/shm as a ramdisk will
> create swap space. Is there a way to prevent the ramdisk from swapping to disk?

Perhaps by not storing so much stuff in it?  That, or adding more RAM.
Seriously, if you're going to fill up a large portion of your available
memory with a ramdisk, demands for memory are going to have to be met by
pushing pages out to swap space.  By default, a ramdisk can grow to up
to half of the available RAM after the kernel has been loaded.  If
programs and I/O buffers need more than the other memory you have
available, what option is there besides swap?

                 Do NOT delete it.