[CentOS] Memory Usage in Top and System Monitor‏

Michael McNulty ionosphere at live.com
Thu Jul 21 20:20:07 UTC 2011

--- On Thu, 7/21/11, Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net> wrote:

> Perhaps by not storing so much stuff in it?  That, or
> adding more RAM. Seriously, if you're going to fill up a large portion of
> your available memory with a ramdisk, demands for memory are going to have
> to be met by pushing pages out to swap space.  By default, a
> ramdisk can grow to up to half of the available RAM after the kernel has been
> loaded.  If programs and I/O buffers need more than the other memory
> you have available, what option is there besides swap?

Actually I am not storing too much stuff in it since there is plenty of free memory. That was the point of my earlier posts asking why swap when there is plenty of free memory.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe behavior is unused files in /dev/shm use swap space? I want to make it so it does not do that since it slows the system down
and since there is plenty of available free memory.