[CentOS] fyi: RHEL 5.7 is out

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Fri Jul 22 11:34:44 UTC 2011

Alain Péan wrote:
> Le 21/07/2011 14:45, Always Learning a écrit :
>> On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 11:11 +0200, Rainer Traut wrote:
>>
>>> it seems redhat has just pushed RHEL 5.7 out.
>>> I see amoung others:
>>>
>>> kernel-2.6.18-274.el5.x86_64.rpm
>>> redhat-release-5Server-5.7.0.3.x86_64.rpm
>> Thanks Rainer.
>>
>> The dilemma is whether to upgrade from 5.6 to 6.1 or stay with 5.x as
>> more 5.x versions (5.8, 5.9, 5.10 etc. might be possible). For me the
>> only negative aspect of 5.x is old kernel 2.6.18 whereas 6.x is 2.6.32?
>>

> The dilemna is for the CentOS developper team. Following the decision
> last January, it would be natural that the priority would be to release
> 5.7, as there are "millions" of existing systems needing to be updated,
> rather than releasing 6.1, where very few systems are already in
> production, and 6.1 updates are backported to 6.0.
>
> So I fear that 6.1 will be postponed...

6.1 CentOS packages are already building, as are 5.7 (in parallel).

Do not mix building and re-compiling packages. 5.7 packages are all
already known and there was no real show stoppers to re-compile them.

6.1 packages are different story, and I am sure there was several show
stoppers that delayed it. Anyhow, it has been only two weeks from 6.0
release, and original projection for 6.0->6.1 was 1 month.

I am wondering how LiveCD release is going, there are several people
interested in it.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)