[CentOS] CentOS 6.0 chkconfig strange behavior

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Fri Jul 22 19:10:22 UTC 2011

--On Friday, July 22, 2011 11:10:29 AM -0700 Jerry Moore <tech10 at mcn.org>
wrote:

> It appears that chkconfig is re sequencing or re ordering the start
> priority of various services when turning on a service using chkconfig.
> Example is the network service. Under normal circumstances network is set
> to start at S10. However when I add something like snmpd and invoke
> chkconfig snmpd on it will change network to S81. Which fouls up some of
> my other services that look for config files on NFS shares.
>
> Testing this issue with the snmpd service I removed $network from
> Required-Start which did nothing.

Again just guessing (my one test CentOS 6 system doesn't currently
have snmpd installed) have a look at not only the snmpd script but
also the ones that should have been started between network and snmpd.
It sounds like some dependencies are missing.

In particular, do your "other services" depend on $network, either
directly or transitively?

You might also want to experiment with 'chkconfig XXXXXX reset'.

Devin