[CentOS] nouveau driver one centos 6

CS calsawyer at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 21:41:40 UTC 2011

Hi, Jerry

Try appending 'rdblacklist=nouveau' to the kernel line in grub.conf (and keep the blackist in modules.conf)

- install CentOS and reboot as usual
- preempt booting at the grub menu and append 'rdblacklist=nouveau 3' to the kernel line to disable nouveau and start up in init 3
- install the Nvidia binary driver.  Optionally, do a yum upgrade, reboot back to init 3 and build the driver on the latest kernel
- edit grub.conf and remove the '3' and reboot again

Nouveau will now stop loading and use your nvidia driver

cheers,

- cal