[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jul 25 03:48:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 22:20 -0400, Thomas Dukes wrote:

> [...]
----
update from CentOS 5.6 to 5.7 (when 5.7 becomes available) is
automatic... just run 'yum update' - no extra efforts or thought need to
be given.

update from CentOS 5.x to CentOS 6.x is at best a crapshoot. Skilled
admins should be able to fix whatever needs fixing. Less than skilled
admins will find it takes less time to backup and re-install.

As for switching to Ubuntu...

I have switched my latest installs from RHEL/CentOS to Ubuntu. Primarily
because I felt I couldn't rely upon timely releases/updates.

Let me assure you though that nothing is perfect with any distribution
and while some packages might be newer/more readily available on one
distribution than the other, there are certainly other packages that are
newer/better vice versa.

ffmpeg on CentOS/RHEL 5.x is a bit behind (CentOS/RHEL 5 is way behind).
zoneminder is just perl scripts so it doesn't make that much of a
difference if it is RPM packaged or just tarball install

CentOS/RHEL has a much larger window of support for a specific version
than Ubuntu so claiming that Ubuntu has a 3 year window as an advantage
suggests that you don't understand the RHEL/CentOS support windows at
all.

Craig

believed to be clean.