[CentOS] Upgrading from CentOS 5.6 to 6.0

Patrick Lists centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 25 16:37:02 UTC 2011

On 07/25/2011 06:07 PM, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Craig White<craigwhite at azapple.com>  wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 19:51 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>> Installing non RPM software on an RPM Distro like CentOS is frowned
>>> upon. That is the worst way to do it.
>> ----
>> why?
>>
>> you made a vacuous argument.
>>
> @Craig:   I retract that.  Probably something that is discouraged,
> rather than frowned upon   Lanny

In the RHEL environments where I have worked, installing non RPM
software was more than frowned upon. It was strictly forbidden and cause
for immediate public flogging. If someone could not (or did not want to)
understand why installing non RPM software was a bad idea then that
person would have been removed from his duties.

It's like using imperial units or US customary units (so non-metric) in
Satellite design. It's just not an option. And if you insist then you
can use it but it will be in your own basement and not at a vendor
creating a Satellite.

Regards,
Patrick