[CentOS] Error updating CentOS 6 kernel

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Jul 26 20:41:08 UTC 2011

> Pasting the above into google renders lots of results that might help
> you track down your specific problem. Things like duplicate disk labels
> or missing symlinks to /dev/root or Fedora kernel entries in grub.conf
> not working correctly as a template for the CentOS kernel entry.
>
> It's hard to tell what exactly your problem is since you do not supply a
> lot of information. It might be you can just fix your issue by editing
> grub.conf to add or fix the boot entry for this kernel.

One random thought: On *some* VM setups (and I believe the OP is using
a VM), some of the boot infrastructure might be missing or exists only
the host system, so it might not be possible to upgrade a VM's kernel
while inside of the VM.  (I know that is the way it is for the CentOS 4
VPS I rent from Tektonic).

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com