[CentOS] running X as root in centos 6

夜神 岩男 supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp
Wed Jul 27 15:34:40 UTC 2011

On 07/27/2011 11:39 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:

> I do this for a reason as a post install step, then the system reboots
> and it never happens again...

And so you will never be asked again, it seems.

> I am trying to find how to set this checkbox which says "never ask me
> again" and move on...

But it isn't going to have a chance to ask you again, is it?

Anyway, I'm just being silly above. The gconf key for this is:

/apps/gnome-session/options/show_root_warning

It accepts a bool value, so something along the lines of the following
command should work from within a kickstart or post-install
script/firstrun kludge if that is your intention (and I assume it is as
the above two statements must not be quite what you meant):

gconftool-2 --direct --config-source \
xml:readwite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults \
--type bool --set /apps/gnome-session/options/show_root_warning false

Not sure if the format length turned out correctly in email, but I think
you get the idea.

Have fun!

-Iwao

PS: If anyone knows anything better than the above sort of commands,
please pipe up. I've been doing a *lot* of gconftool-2 scripted
customizations lately and some of the options are pretty hard to
research. Things like setting default colors for gnome-terminal or
changing icons defaults, etc. are a fruitful source of irritating
mistakes. Any better ideas are welcome -- thanks in advance.