[CentOS] [SOLVED] How to remove Microsoft soft raid?

David McGuffey davidmcguffey at verizon.net
Thu Jul 28 10:45:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 11:17 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> Drew wrote on 07/21/2011 11:09 AM:
> >> From the sounds of it it's fake raid. M$ doesn't leave any signatures
> > on their raid system that linux will detect. dm/md raid can see
> > fakeraid signatures in newer versions so the installer may be picking
> > up on that.
>
> So, erasing the RAID signatures with "dd" in addition to changing the
> BIOS setting, is indicated.
>
> Phil

Used a CentOS 6 Live DVD to boot.  Then discovered that under
Applications>System>Disk Utilities one can manage disks to include
busting up old raid devices and partitions.

Whatever raid metadata was written by WinXP-64 was destroyed and I was
able to do a proper install of CentOS 6.

Thanks go to the upstream developers for enhancing the disk utilities.

DaveM