[CentOS] www.mydomain.org and mydomain.org should resolve to the same IP

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sat Jul 30 17:14:45 UTC 2011

On 07/30/2011 12:55 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Hi list,
> I am having a debate with one of my clients where I administer their
> domain and storage server but the website is hosted by godaddy.
> thus www.mydomain.org goes to one of godaddy's servers but the
> mydomain.org and mail.mydomain.org and ns1.mydomain.org all go elsewhere.
>
> My website designer has been convinced by the godaddy web design team
> that we should
> <quote>
>
> Again, the standard practice in the industry is for name.org and
> www.name.org to be "tied" together. The primary domain is mydomain.org
> and you
> have it while the church's web site is using the sub domain,
> www.mydomain.org. I
> have been on the phone with tech support and they say that out of close
> to 1
> million web site hosting customers, NOBODY purposely separates the two. We
> will run into these issues every time someone tries to create a form, new
> navigation and potentially new pages, according to Godaddy.
> PLEASE create a sub-domain for your server that is not mydomain.org and,
> transfer mydomain.org into the new godaddy account we just set up for
> the new
> web site.
>
> </quote>
> I have never heard this before, and have not had any problems with any
> other clients until this client hooked up with godaddy for their website.
> Anyone out there that can shed some light on this?
> Do most domains keep the Top Level Domain (TLD)  the same as the www.TLD?
>
> TIA
> Rob

With no comment related to GoDaddy itself; I do keep www.domain.tld and
domain.tld pointing to the same page, and I get quite frustrated when
sites don't do that. When I am typing a URL, I find the need to type the
'www.' prefix superfluous and annoying.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially,
a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab
through the sky with fire and math?"