[CentOS] www.mydomain.org and mydomain.org should resolve to the same IP

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Sat Jul 30 18:04:19 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 01:45:15PM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> > I am having a debate with one of my clients where I administer their
> > domain and storage server but the website is hosted by godaddy.

> > Again, the standard practice in the industry is for name.org and
> > www.name.org to be "tied" together. The primary domain is mydomain.org and you

> > Anyone out there that can shed some light on this?
> > Do most domains keep the Top Level Domain (TLD)  the same as the www.TLD?

> Some do, some don't.  Some have a redirect from TLD to www.TLD, some

This is the correct answer; "some do, some don't".  It's perfectly possible
to have the domain and www.domain A records point to different places, or
to have them point to the same place.

HOWEVER: It's the _client_ who is requesting this.  They want both domains
to go to the same web site.  If you're not using the domain A record for
anything else, then just do it.  If you're using the A record for other
reasons then perhaps put up a redirect or explain to the client the
consequences of changing the A record.

Basically, with no good reason not to, don't argue with the client :-)
Only argue if you have a good reason!

--

rgds
Stephen