[CentOS] Intel HD graphics & CentOS 6: Error inserting i915

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Sun Jul 31 08:08:51 UTC 2011

On 30/07/11 14:40, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
> I installed CentOS 6 to Acer 7750 laptop, which has Intel Sandybridge CPU
> ( i5-2410M) with integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000.
>
> By default X won't use intel driver for graphics, but vesa instead, which
> limits the resolution to 1024x768. I tried to force the use of intel driver
> by writing a xorg.cof file, but then X doesn't start at all.
>
> I updated libdrm and xorg-x11-drv-intel from elrepo. This intel driver 2.15
> is newer than in Fedora 15 Live CD, and with it the graphics work properly.
>
> The problem seems to be related with i915 kernel module:
>
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> FATAL: Error inserting i915
> (/lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko):
> No such device
> (EE) No devices detected.

That looks to me like the kernel driver also needs updating to support
your hardware.

The problem is that isn't trivial due to the dependencies that module has:

$ modinfo i915 | grep depends
depends:        drm,drm_kms_helper,i2c-core,video,i2c-algo-bit

So you'd also need to update those modules and their dependencies, and
modules that depend on those modules might then break. As I said, not
trivial. IMHO really you need to be running a newer kernel and/or distro
with native support.