[CentOS] Intel HD graphics & CentOS 6: Error inserting i915

Timo Neuvonen timo-news at tee-en.net
Sun Jul 31 20:28:12 UTC 2011

"Pasi Kärkkäinen" <pasik at iki.fi> kirjoitti viestissä
news:20110731184737.GP32373 at reaktio.net...
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 12:29:59PM +0200, Marc Deop wrote:
>> On Saturday 30 July 2011 16:40:45 Timo Neuvonen wrote:
>> > (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
>> > FATAL: Error inserting i915
>> > (/lib/modules/2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko):
>> > No such device
>> > (EE) No devices detected.
>>
>> You need at least a 2.6.38 kernel.
>>
>> From: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q1.html
>>

> And in case of CentOS it means Redhat needs to backport the driver to el6
> 2.6.32 kernel.

I admit that my secret dream is that RH already would have done that for
RHEL 6.1 kernels, otherwise it will take rather long time. AFAIK, they
backport things like that only for new minor versions, so if it's not in 6.1
in the beginning, it won't be there before 6.2?

As a quick workaround I set up a dirty bomb: installed 2.6.38 from Fedora 15
updates repo -so far it seems to work, and I wanted to have a very
CentOS-like system for testing certain things in a portable hardware (easy
to carry my virtual test machine farm to home in the evening). This is just
a preliminary tester, not a production system, so it won't be a big problem
if it crashes some day.

--
TiN