[CentOS] HOWTO install CentOS 6 on low memory computer or virtual machine (even 192MB RAM)

R P Herrold

herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jul 27 11:06:15 UTC 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Tomasz Ostrowski wrote:

> I've managed to install CentOS 6 on a 192MB virtual machine using LiveCD
> install-to-disk graphical method.

<snip rework of Anaconda, Live CD discussions>

I think you are over-thnking this.  Anaconda is overkill if
all you want to do is blow images onto arbitrary hardware

So long as you are going through all this, why not just
install to taste into a chroot with yum or RPM, rsync into a
prepared hard drive, optionally fix up the fstab grub.conf
settings, and run grubby or do a mkinitrd and grub
initialization

(The transfer and bootloader fixup my be done with a minimal
image, PXE loaded, so one does not even need a working CD/DVD/
USB port.  PXE has been on substantially all hardware built
for the last decade)

That approach is portable, and works across all CentOS
variants

-- Russ herrold