[CentOS] shared cups printers disappeared

Fri Jul 1 22:42:00 UTC 2011
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

I have two computers, one with a HP printer on it and one with a Samsung
printer on it.

Both systems have their respective pritnters listed under
system-config-printer and have  "enabled" "accepting jobs" and "shared" checked.

Up to a few days ago this worked fine.  Suddenly I can't see either printer
from the other machine and as far as I know nothing has changed other than the
usual "yum update" stuff that has come in over the past few days. I can see the
local printer on each computer but system-config-printer (and applications)
can't see the remote printer at all.

It's odd that the remote printer has disappeared from both computers at the
same time.  Each computer can see its own local printer but it can't see the
remote printer on the other computer.

The firewall has port 631 tcp and udp both allowed on both computers.  The cups
version on both computers is cups-1.3.7-26.el5_6.1 which doesn't appear to have
been updated since April.