[CentOS] ext4 in CentOS 5.6?

Tue Jul 5 01:05:32 UTC 2011
Charles Polisher <cpolish at surewest.net>

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 01:04:34PM -0700, PJ wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Marian Marinov <mm at yuhu.biz> wrote:

<big snip>

> Thanks Marian, it looks like it's 2 x 9TB partitions for me, what a
> pain in the ass!

Here be dragons:

If you're running a database on it, you might re-think using a
journaled filesystem. For that, ext2 will be faster and much
less prone to unrecoverable data loss.

If you're running on large spindles, benchmark the performance
during a rebuild of one drive. Yank a drive for a moment and
watch performance fall off a cliff until the RAID is made whole.

Exercize the storage using dt and fsopbench. If it survives them
intact you have little to fear.

dt: http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHEA-2005-872.html
fsopbench: http://insights.oetiker.ch/linux/fsopbench/

BTW, how long does a restoring a 9TB partition from tape run?
Is it longer than your SLA? I'd want to know the answer before
putting it into production.

--
Charles Polisher