[CentOS] Experience with Centos running off usb-stick(s)

Thu Jul 21 15:26:47 UTC 2011
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml at conversis.de>

Hi,
I'm trying to build a redundant duo of firewalls/routers/gateways and I'm
thinking about not putting any disks in them and instead using a usb-stick
raid-1 as storage.
Has anyone any experience with this? Since the machines will be running
pretty much only iptables, conntrackd and keepalived there is not going to
be a lot of disk activity going on and the plan is to do all the logging on
a remote machine which should reduce the write activity on the sticks to
almost zero during normal operation.

I've already created a fairly minimal kickstart for such an installation
but I'm wondering if there are any opinions out there on whether this is a
feasible approach or if there are any gotchas I'm not aware of.

Regards,
   Dennis