[CentOS] lots of small files in a folder on Linux centos

Sun Jul 24 09:29:23 UTC 2011
yonatan pingle <yonatan.pingle at gmail.com>

Hello,
I have a rather annoying issue on going with one of my centos virtual servers.
the server hosts a website using apache and mysql ,there are three
persons involved with keeping the site up and running.
and i am his root due to the fact he does not know anything with about Linux.
there is an php/sql coder , and the site owner which only knows to use
the CMS and upload new articles to the website.

the coder and the site owner work together for a long time already , i
am their new admin ( as the last one was a major ISP which failed to
host the site properly ).

lately the server is under-preforming and load averages are high,
mysql service keeps crashing and the server is hitting max memory
usage ( so i added ram .. ) ,
after looking into the website folders, i have found one folder which
from my point of view is one of the causes for the server loads.

(sorry for piping ls ).

uploads]# ls | wc -l
3123

I have talked with the site owner, which in turn showed this to the
coder ,now he throws the ball back claiming: it has nothing to do with
server performance.
the folder is full of images, about 40K each, and i have good reason
to believe this is the problem, as this is not the first time i see
that a folder which includes a large amount of files causes a server
to under-perform.

the coder is not tech savvy as one might expect, so it's really hard
for me to explain the issue of having lots of files in one folder to
the site owner or to the coder.

the hardware is a decent machine dual E5530 24RAM with six hard drives in raid.
the virtual server has 2GB of ram and it's own CPU share ( 4 cores 8 threads ).
the coder is arguing with facts sadly to say he has the site owner on
"his side".

long story short, how should i explain in the most simple way in plain
english that having that much files in a folder will cause a server to
work slower?

pros vs cons of having a large amount of small files in the same
folder on Linux Centos?

--
Best Regards,
Yonatan Pingle