[CentOS] Power-outage

Fri Jul 1 15:26:35 UTC 2011
Blake Hudson <blake at ispn.net>

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Power-outage
From: m.roth at 5-cent.us
Date: Friday, July 01, 2011 9:57:41 AM
> Blake Hudson wrote:
>> From: m.roth at 5-cent.us
>>> I agree. Esp. since, other than in datacenters, *most* electric power is
>>> pretty crappy.
>> I would have to disagree. They probably put high efficiency active PFC
>> power supplies in the servers to save YOU money. You could buy a cheaper
>> PSU that will not be as efficient and would thus cost you more in
>> electric costs and create more heat (which would again cost you more in
>> AC bills and reduce server density). The active PFC supplies are
> Except that I expect datacenters to have conditioned power, and so they
> can cheap out with the servers, with the same expectations. And I would
> expect consumer-grade systems to not have fancy power units, but ones that
> won't die on power irregularities from the electric co's.
> <snip>
>         mark
I think you missed the point - While manufacturer's could (and probably
sometimes do) "cheap out with the servers" power supplies, it is not in
your best interest (or their's).

More efficient PSUs create less waste heat and draw less power which
means higher density, more performance, etc. This is more important in
the server space where the computers are on 24/7 and tightly packed into
racks. More efficient PSUs cost more upfront than inefficient ones,
which mean that Dell/HP/etc can probably make a higher profit. In the
long term, you may be saving $50-100 per server per year on reduced
electric and associated costs. If you're in a colo with power draw
restrictions, you may be saving even more.