[CentOS] Power-outage

Fri Jul 1 16:50:19 UTC 2011
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

On 7/1/2011 12:36 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>>> It seems to me that it should be possible
>>> to have a simple, torch-battery operated, system
>>> which will keep the machine alive long enough
>>> to make a graceful exit.
>> A UPS would be your simplest option here since the UPS can send a
>> signal to the OS to shutdown properly.
>>
>> Using a "torch battery" (I presume this is a large torch?) you'll
>> still have the same issue as you have now - when the battery runs flat
>> (i.e. power outage is longer than 10 minutes or so) Linux will still
>> crash uncleanly.
> As will be obvious, I know nothing in this area.
> My thought was just that the machine only requires say 30 seconds of life
> to shutdown properly, and I would have thought
> there was enough capacity in a large torch battery to supply this?
>
> But there seems to be a 100% backing for UPS,
> so I'll look into that.

A UPS is the implementation of your "torch battery" idea.  Remember that
the battery will need a way to convert from DC to the A/C power required
by your machine.  There also needs to be circuitry to switch over to
battery power in the event of an outage.  You also need to make sure the
battery stays charged.  The UPS does all of this for you.  The UPS can
also notify your server in the event of a power outage so it can shut
down cleanly.  If you don't require a long runtime, then you don't need
to get a huge UPS.  APC's website has a calculator that can help you
determine which UPS will work best based on your equipment and desired
runtime.

--
Bowie