[CentOS] Power-outage

Fri Jul 1 19:03:04 UTC 2011
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

On 7/1/11, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> It seems to me that it should be possible
> to have a simple, torch-battery operated, system
> which will keep the machine alive long enough
> to make a graceful exit.
> A full-blown UPS would be excessive, I think,
> as I only want the machine to re-boot
> when the current comes back on.

Like others have suggested, a cheap UPS is the way to go. The problem
with your idea is that you'll need a DC to AC inverter that can handle
the output current required by your server and something to hold the
batteries (you'll need more than one because attempting to draw a huge
current from a normal battery will either kill it or at the very least
cause it to have a shorter than expected capacity) and everything
together, it's probably going to cost more in both money and time to
have this thing.