[CentOS] Power-outage

Sun Jul 3 07:38:04 UTC 2011
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

On 7/3/11, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> (I'm guessing that Google's massive array of battery powered servers use
> things like Atom processors or some other mobile or embeded processing
> elements on their custom motherboards, which might be a customized
> variant of a laptop or embedded processing motherboard.)

IIRC, Google's server boards run normal processors. It's just the
board was customized to work off single+12V  voltage, with a battery
sitting in between to act as a UPS. The reason was a single +12V
battery per server was cheaper than a huge UPS for a bunch of servers.
Google also use enough boards that it was economically feasible for
the manufacturer to make design changes to an existing board design to
support this.