[CentOS] php 5.1.6 vulnerability in CentosPlus repo

Sun Jul 3 12:29:12 UTC 2011
Alain Péan <alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr>

Le 03/07/2011 10:28, Spike Turner a écrit :
> --- On Sat, 2/7/11, John R. Dennison<jrd at gerdesas.com>  wrote:
>
>> That's not been supported in, literally, ages.  You
>> may want to consider
>> a "yum update" once in a while.
>>
>> And yes, that specific version has multiple known and
>> exploitable
>> security issues.
>>
>>      John
> I'm running it on an internal box not accessible from the internet. I do run a yum update and that seems to be the latest CentOS Plus version.
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/centosplus/i386/RPMS/
>
> You can see that the kernels are updated but the php is not, so I don't see why you said I should consider "running a yum update once in a while".

Hi Spike,

I agree. Here is what I have on a CentOS 5.6 machine :
]# yum info php
Available Packages
Name       : php
Arch       : x86_64
Version    : 5.1.6
Release    : 27.el5_5.3
Size       : 2.3 M
Repo       : base

So 5.1.6 is the current package on CentOS, at least in base repo, I
don't know for CentOSPlus, and your question is totally valid.

I am not using PHP, so I am not aware of the last vulnerabilities, but
you should know that RedHat backports security fixes, and features, from
further releases, so the version number is not that informative. See for
example this rather old thread (2010) :
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1424743

Hopes that helps...

Alain