[CentOS] Power-outage

Tue Jul 5 06:44:30 UTC 2011
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

On 7/5/11, Rajagopal Swaminathan <raju.rajsand at gmail.com> wrote:
> <rant>
> I was running a shop with two servers as ltsp with about 100 thin
> clients and a dozen projectors.
>
> One 20 KVA UPS powered all of them
>
> There was another 25KVS for critical fan light etc.
>
> Withing two years at least 20  (out of 64 IIRC) ("mainance free")
> batteries were replaced.

Fortunately I read about Google's server and their cheap per server
UPS approach and never went for the single high power UPS except when
absolutely needed. It was easier to deal with dead UPS in places where
there are more than one server simply by plugging the machine into the
other UPS while the first was replaced.

Otherwise, the single large UPS becomes the single point of failure.