[CentOS] how to enable Flow Control on CentOS?

Thu Jul 7 15:30:07 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 7/7/2011 10:15 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>>> in this case though, it is gigE so dont use 100
>>>
>>> it was used cause cisco typically should be hard set for speed and
>>> duplex so
>>> you never have to guess or worry
>>
>> Errr, perhaps you mean because old cisco stuff didn't negotiate
>> reliably?  You always have to worry when you have hard set options
>> because it won't work when someone changes the equipment at the other end.
>
> I thought we were talking about NIC's and the use of ethtool, not Cisco
> switches. And don't get me started on the networking turkey, er, team
> here.

Old Cisco switches - and Cisco's advice about how to work around their
problems - are just the main reason that anyone would ever have turned
off auto-negotiate.  And it is a big problem if you only turn if off at
one end which is what you end up with as you start to change equipment,
because the other end will always get it wrong.  These days, if a device
doesn't negotiate properly you should probably just replace it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com