[CentOS] More on CentOS autotools bug

Fri Jul 8 14:23:16 UTC 2011
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

On 7/8/11, John J. Boyer <john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com> wrote:
> Below is a repost of the message I sent about the strange error message
> I was getting when trying to build my project on CentOS. I am a software
> developer and don't have time to compare distros.

You claim to be a software developer so surely you realize the
importance of relevant information to assist in
debugging/troubleshooting. Yet what you're doing is the equivalent of
complaining "My program won't run, it just stops with an error at this
point", then refusing to provide a trace or output log, insisting that
"you can see it by writing the same program".

Mr Hodrien already demonstrated how to provide the information. Could
you not at least follow suit, copy and paste the relevant commands
leading up to the problem? If you had done so, he would had known the
problem occurred after that point and might had actually went past
when he stopped to see if he was going to get the same problem. But
because you refused to provide any information, he or anybody else
probably won't be bothered to waste time shooting blindly hoping to
reach the step where you got stuck.

>I am also not an
> autotools expert. The autotools files in my project were lmade by
> others. It builds on everything except CentOS. I also don't have the
> time to build a simple test case. That would probably be time-consuming.

"Building" a simple test case in this situation is as simple as
narrowing down the steps and changes leading to the problem. Your
refusal to provide relevant information probably wasted more time than
anything else. One is almost tempted to think this was an elaborate
troll :D