[CentOS] CentOS 6 supported hardware

Fri Jul 8 17:14:52 UTC 2011
Christopher Chan <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

On Saturday, July 09, 2011 12:48 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:

>>> Intel, Broadcom, Ralink and Realtek chips are mostly used only for
>>> Laptops. Any decent (professional) Wireless router will have Atheros
>>> based radio. And the are excellent Atheros open source drivers.
>>
>> Professional Wireless Router? That knocked me off my seat :-D. 'Wireless
>> router' has become associated in my mind with that device you put in
>> homes. So what professional wireless routers are out there? I have
>> Aerohive 340 access points over here (uses Atheros btw) but I cannot
>> seem to remember whether it supported routing but it does support tying
>> profiles to vlans and a host of other stuff.
>
> There are Wireless Access points (without routing capability) and only
> one wireless radio, semi-routers with only one wireless radio but with
> rudimentary routing and firewall/NAT support (most Ubiquity products)
> and there are full fledged routers with one or multiple LAN and wireless
> radios cards.
>
> In the last group, most used is Mikrotik hardware with their RouterOS
> software that supports most of the routing protocols and extensive
> firewall/NAT/mangle capabilities. My favorite is StarOS software that
> runs on larger number of hardware platforms including regular PC's (as
> does RouterOS). There are other software/OS's but those 2 are, in my
> opinion, the best ones.
> Both of them support *only* Atheros chipsets.
>
> And when I say routing, I mean RIP, OSPF, OLSR, BGP...

Bah, those for are sissies. I know of one chap who manually maintained
the routing tables for checkpoint firewalls in a full mesh configuration
and who had over 20 sites in that particular vpn network (works for a
global conglomerate). Yes, I would be a sissy if I ever had to deploy a
multi-site vpn network/multi-site network. :-P

>>>     From manufacturers, Winstron and Compex are most respected. This is
>>> from 7 years of professional experience.
>>
>> Let's see if we win the obscure wireless product awards ;)
>
> I was refering to manufacturers of Atheros based radio cards, not
> routers. Sorry is I have not stated that clearly.

OIC.