[CentOS] Centos 6 Server has no GUI

Mon Jul 11 15:44:10 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:33:10PM +0800, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
>> On 7/11/11, Keith Beeby <k.beeby at albion.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >

>> > So first daft question with Centos 6 (someone had to be first!) I've setup
>> > Centos 6 as a Server but as with Centos 5 it used to boot into the GUI but
>> > v6 doesn't do this, startx etc doesn't seem to work to launch the GUI
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken, the "Server" option does not include the GUI so
>> you'll have to install the GUI group manually as others have
>> suggested.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, (not making fun of Emmanuel, just the same caveat),
> neither server nor web server have a GUI by default.  IMLTHO (less than
> humble) this is something they should have done a long time ago, (though
> I would like to see either flux or openbox available as alternative--on
> the other hand, that's purely personal preference, and can be safely
> ignored--just, if I do, for whatever reason, want a GUI on a server, I'd
> much prefer a *box (or other--twm is available actually, but I don't
> like it), I'd like something light.
>

> --

I have to agree with Scott.

A "lightweight" server option is a
long-awaited-and-much-deserved-feature but it would be nice if we
could still get a very lightweight X - even if it doesn't run
automatically. I often need to use X for odd stuff which only works on
X - like using Firefox to check if a specific feature on a website,
hosted on the server works fine. Or like using gparted to get the
extra features which fdisk doesn't offer.

Just a thought.......

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers