[CentOS] Suggest Hardware Raid Controller Card

Mon Jul 11 17:12:32 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 07/11/11 9:53 AM, Drew wrote:
> I stand corrected in that area. Tho, even upgrading to a LSI MegaRAID
> 9260 w/ BBU only brings you into the $1000 price range so unless
> you're buying $1000 pizza boxes from Supermicro (not knocking the
> brand, I use their kit at home ) that's still not even close to the
> price of a decently spec'd IBM or HP server. Of course our spec comes
> in around $6k per box. ;-)

I recently got some quotes on some HP DL servers, the HP p410 w/ 1GB
flash-backed cache (no batteries to replace ever) PN 572532-B21 was MSRP
$750 before any corporate discounts.   this is a 8 channel 6gbps SAS
controller (2 internal 4-channel connectors)

my configuration also came to about $6K/box but that was a mighty
powerful box (25 2.5" SAS bays, 12 core 2.8Ghz 48GB ram, and said raid
controller)