[CentOS] Problem with net-install

Tue Jul 12 13:00:24 UTC 2011
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 05:54:56AM -0700, Drew wrote:
> > CentOS 6 was not really intended for slower systems, none of the newer
> > distros are. CentOS 6 kernel for example does not support 586 CPU's.
>
> I'd like to know where you read that because I'm looking at putting
> CentOS 6 onto a couple of lower end boxes, specifically a
> P3-800(mobile) and an older VIA EPIA, which are fully supported in
> CentOS 5.

While I don't know aobut the VIA EPIA, any P3 is a "i686" compatible
processor, and would therefore be supported.

586-class cpus include all pentiums prior to PII/Pentium-Pro, all
Intel chips older than that, AMD K5, K6, K6-II and some number of
cyrix/via chips (which ones, specifically, I do not know).

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding