[CentOS] Centos 6 Server has no GUI

Tue Jul 12 16:59:46 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:31:07 PM Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > C6, SL6,  and upstream EL6 use upstart instead of SysVInit.

> OK, thanks for pointing that out Lamar. So I take it we can
> still choose which services we want running at boot time on
> C6?

Yes.  But not in /etc/inittab.

The normal chkconfig interface still works with upstart, and the inittscripts are still in /etc/init.d, and symlinks are still in /etc/rcX.d, with upstart.

/etc/inittab is only used to set the default runlevel in upstart, as documented in /etc/inittab itself, at least on my RHEL 6.1 system.

But it's runlevel emulation, not classic SysV runlevels, and upstart is capable of event-driven daemon loading/unloading.  The F15 and later systemd goes beyond that.