[CentOS] OT: USB3 drive occasionally not detected

Wed Jul 13 11:42:22 UTC 2011
Brunner, Brian T. <BBrunner at gai-tronics.com>

centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> CentOS 5.5 x86_64
>
> Asrock-Board with 2 USB3 plugs.
>
> Normally USB3-drive is detected. But occasionaly after "umount" next
> time this drive or other ones will not be detected.
> I have to boot the PC - than it works - till next unrecognition.
>
> On USB2 plugs all works  correct.
>
> No messages in /var/log/messages nor dmesg.
>
> What happens here?
> Board failure - or other reasons?
>
> Some hints welcome.
>
> Timothy

Try this:
Make (eg) /usr/bin/usb3mount (your own wrapper for /bin/mount for usb3
devices)
Include the line
for num in 0 1 2 3 4 5 ; do echo "- - -" >
/sys/class/scsi_host/host$num/scan; done

Caveat: The number set 0-5 has to do with *my* scsi busses and devices
thereon.  Your numbers may be different.
I use this re-scan to detect hot-swapped sata disks for multi-spindle
backup

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

//me