[CentOS] CentOS 6 system-config-bind missing?

Wed Jul 13 18:03:42 UTC 2011
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Emmett Culley wrote:

> No, it isn't.  At least it isn't trivial for those of us
> that only occasionally need to modify their DNS server(s).
> I had a few gripes about system-config-bind, but on the
> whole it did make it easy for me to manage our DNS servers
> without having to study the docs each time I needed to make
> a change.

I promised I would not get drawn into this thread, but ...

This thread and its description of the experience gap is
telling ... One camp wants a 'black box' tool that does
_something_, so they can ignore what is happening 'under the
covers' and move on to more interesting uses of the computer.
And then there are the professionals.   And this _is_ billed
as a boring, trailing edge and stable, enterprise operating
system, after all

But my use cases are related to a prodduction environment,
maintaining several hundred zone files, with lots of adds,
changes, and deletes.  The s-c-bind GUI tool was useless,
compared to TUI edits (certain legacy systems) and scripts to
do the backups, accuracy audit, and creation of all files
including the PTR record files

But our TUI system was really was not up to the new TXT record
formats for anti-spam purposes, SRV records, and AAAA and ipv6
PTR generation, so we redesigned and have moved to a local
database backed, webbish tool

The latter still DISPLAYs zone files, so I can check its work
(and indeed 'bind' dumps backups that look like zone files),
but all transactions are done 'across the wire incrementally'
through encrypted, keyed DNS tranactions, line by line, and
NOT by shipping zone files around.  There is also a webbish
GUI permitting downloading a local format CSV representation
of the zone files, that 'gnumeric' and Google spreadsheet read
just fine

But this GUI tool is also tightly coupled to local workflow,
and not really something we would release the web LAMP sources
for, because we ** want ** to be free to break the API as
needed for business purposes

> Now I suppose my only choice is to install webmin, or
> compile system-config-bind from source.

or, just maybe, study a zone file and read about it and grow
in skills.  Also, there exist on-line tools to construct
well-formed zone files, and google has umpteen gazillion
articles of varying quality and accuracy, I suppose. The two
you list are your 'only' choice, only if you are into drama

> I cannot understand the reasoning behind dropping
> system-config-bind from CentOS/RHEL 6.  Then leaving it in
> Fedora.  Since when is less tools better?  Especially since
> there doesn't seem to be a reasonable replacement for this
> useful tool.

I am not unbiased in this matter, as I asy, I've been building
zone files for a long time, first using a locally hacked up
and extended version of 'h2n', and other tools from the ORA
Cricket book

By comparison, the s-c- GUI DNS tool formerly offered reminded
me of a lame little puppy -- better than nothing, but just
barely.  Lots of the 'glade' based 'tools' which the upstream
has rolled out seem, to me, to be present to satisfy a PHB's
requirement for a GUI tool on a checklist, for a given
service. They could not be called 'best of breed' by a neutral
observer, by any reach of the imagination

-- Russ herrold