[CentOS] use of MAILTO variable in crontab

Wed Jul 13 19:42:42 UTC 2011
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Wed Jul 13 15:30:30 EDT 2011, Brunner, Brian T. BBrunner at
gai-tronics.com wrote:

> Note: The script that you trigger (a wrapper for the command
> you really want to run) can have the per-command peculiarities
> in it.
> Also: the command in the crontab file can look like 'cmd |
> mail -s "Subject of mail" user'
> Also: a file (e.g. 'mumble') in the /etc/cron.d directory is
> effectively an extension of the /etc/crontab file, and MAILTO
> can be set there (IIRC it will only effect entries in that
> /etc/cron.d/mumble file).

Thanks.  I gather from these and previous comments, and from
experimentation, that it is not possible to arbitrarily set the
MAILTO variable in the actual crontab entry.  One must set it
somewhere before that entry and, where necessary, reset it to
something else immediately thereafter.

Canada  L8E 3C3