[CentOS] CentOS 6 x86_64 DVD doesn't boot

Fri Jul 15 16:19:22 UTC 2011
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS 6 x86_64 DVD doesn't boot
>
> On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 09:32 -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
>> ETCDisolinux: Found something at drive = EF
>> No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
>> boot:
>>
>> The same disc works fine in my 4 year old HP laptop, and when installing
>> CentOS 6 as a KVM.
>
> I've tried everything people have so kindly suggested - the DVD has
> failed to boot each and every time.
>
> I decided to burn a Fedora 15 x86_64 DVD ISO to the same rewritable DVD
> I've been using for the CentOS 6 DVD image. I also used the same burner.
> The Fedora 15 DVD booted just fine.
>
> So, what I can conclude is something is broken.  :/

Hi again Ranbir. This reminds me of a similar problem I had
on an older Advent laptop. The problem was due to bad BIOS
calls in the firmware.

It was fixed by Mr HP Anvin, the maintainer of the ISO boot
loader by writing a work around to dodge the wonky BIOS
code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYSLINUX

Maybe you have a similar problem?

Does your machine hang with an error message during the boot
process?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: