[CentOS] firewall?

Sat Jul 16 17:45:53 UTC 2011
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>

Keith Roberts wrote:
> I read some time ago something about tunneling different
> protocols through firewalls? which sounded quite scary.

Depends on the tunneling protocol you use, and on what platform you are
using.

For example, I use vtund package (server-client shema) with simple
config to connect to my network with a "long LAN cable" going through
internet and giving me access to my fully routed network with dozens of
routers/hops.

And only server has to have public IP with open vtund port.

Once created it will reconnect if link was broken.

There is also OpenVPN from more used protocol.

Anly thing you need to watch for is routing, telling systems on both
sides what subnets they can see on the other side of the link, but it is
also part of the protocol config, or you can even use dynamic routing.

If you use standalone tunneling devices, setting boils down to
configuring via web config by adding parameters.

Ljubomir