[CentOS] ext4 in CentOS 5.6?

Sun Jul 17 08:31:26 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 6:17 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 07/05/11 9:04 PM, Charles Polisher wrote:
>> The PostgreSQL wiki seems to say that database tables are
>> allocated in 1GB extents. In workloads with which I am
>> familiar, with an RDBMS the extents don't bounce
>> around all that much, i.e. the vast majority of writes do
>> not result in a change to the underlying database's storage
>> allocation. Once in a while a new extent is allocated.
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/storage-file-layout.html
>> I suppose there could be exceptions, but I haven't run
>> across one personally.
>
> you misread that.
>
>    When a table or index exceeds 1 GB, it is divided into
>    gigabyte-sized/segments/. The first segment's file name is the same
>    as the filenode; subsequent segments are named filenode.1,
>    filenode.2, etc. This arrangement avoids problems on platforms that
>    have file size limitations. ...
>

> Each file is no larger than 1GB (by default), but its written and
> expanded as needed, not in any fixed size increment.
>

>> The "WAL" files you refer to are apparently database
>> transaction logs. According to the wiki, these too
>> are allocated in extents (WAL segments) of 16MB each.
>
> The wal logs are 16M files, also written sequentially as needed, and
> nearly continuously on a insert/update intensive database.  they are not
> reused, rather, old wal files are deleted (unless you're archiving), and
> new ones are created continuously.
>

> --
> john r pierce                            N 37, W 122
> santa cruz ca                         mid-left coast

Hi Everyone,

I just tried to install EXT4 onto a CentOS 5 machine but it failed.
Does anyone know in which repository it is?

root at usaxen01:[~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5 (Final)

root at usaxen01:[~]$ uname -a
Linux usaxen01 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen #1 SMP Mon Oct 22 09:01:12 EDT
2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

root at usaxen01:[~]$ yum -y install e4fsprogs
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Excluding Packages in global exclude list
Finished
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

--