[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Sun Jul 17 15:48:23 UTC 2011
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>

Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 11:47 PM, Always Learning <centos at u6.u22.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 20:13 +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> yum install gstreamer*
>>

> Is yum install vlc* better that gstreamer?
>
> Ignorant queation:
> And whch repos should be included 1. for gstreamer and 2. for VLC?

Depends on what you are going to use it for.

GStreamer is library used by number of Audio-video apps.

VLC is Audio-video app with it's own codecs (as I recall).

So if you will use VLC for listening to MP3 and similar proprietary
formats installing VLC will be enough.

If you prefer some other app, like Amarok, Totem,... for MP3, etc...
then you need underlying library of codecs (GStreamer, xine,..).

More then one repository has both vlc and GStreamer, but I suggest using
rpmforge/repoforge[1]. Install their release package and use yum to install.

[1]: http://repoforge.org/use/

Ljubomir