[CentOS] CentOS-6 firewall how to open a port

Sun Jul 17 23:45:16 UTC 2011
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm running CentOS-6 on an HP MicroServer (since this morning)
> and I'd like to open an non-standard port,
> for use on a laptop  attached to the internet through the server.
>
> Do I have to explicitly add an iptables rule?
> If so, and I want to open (say) udp port 500 ,
> what command should I give?
> My recollection is that in old versions of CentOS
> one could non-standard ports through system-config-firewall ;
> but it seems that now this can only be used for standard ports;

Apologies.
There is a perfectly clear option "Other Ports"
on running system-config-firewall as root.

There does seem to be a bug/feature: if you enter
the same procedure by Administration=>Firewall (in KDE)
you cannot make any changes (at least I could not)
even after giving the superuser password, when requested.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net