[CentOS] cent0s-6 and virtualbox

Mon Jul 18 09:17:20 UTC 2011
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>

Michel Donais wrote:
>> Hrrm, seems as if the ISO may be using a PAE kernel by default.  PAE is
>> a kernel that will be able to make use of more than 4GB of RAM with
>> i686.
>>
>> Ah, I see it's apparently a decision by RH.  I assume there's some logic
>> in it, though I don't know what it is.
>>

>> http://jp.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26352&forum=14
>>

>> See if it's possible to add
>> PAE to the machine settings in VirtualBox.   Settings=>System=>Processor
>>
> The box is already checked but the CPU doesn't have PAE capability so it's
> useless.
>
> It won't be a bad thing thatthe install may do a choice of a cpu with or not
> the capability of PAE as it was in the past.

Red Hat decided that this newer version of RHEL(CentOS) *must* have PAE
support by CPU to be installed. I think they would even prefer to loose
i386 branch all together. Indication was when they supported (or just
forced, cant remember witch) Virtualization only on x86_64 on
RHEL/CentOS 5.x.

Ljubomir