[CentOS] Upgrade from CentOS 5.4 to 5.6

Mon Jul 18 16:27:15 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 7/18/2011 10:37 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

>>> Backup data
>>> Clean install
>>> Restore data.
>>
>> You left out the hard part which is ensuring that 'data' does not
>> conflict with any new files from the 6.x install, which anything under
>> /etc or /var most likely will, and then making sure that the parts of
>> 'data' that you need from those conflicting files are added back in a
>> compatible way, which will generally be non-trivial.
>>
> Less, are you talking about user data (meant by Brian) or about config
> data of the system?

The system isn't going to work the way you expect until you do both, so
I guess the answer is 'yes'.

You can sort-of generalize about how to handle your config data under
/etc and all of the application dot-files in home directories, and your
databases and applications with data under /var, but there are a lot of
special cases.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com