[CentOS] SPAM on the List

Mon Jul 18 16:41:55 UTC 2011
Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org>

--On Sunday, July 17, 2011 10:37:53 PM -0400 Stephen Harris
<lists at spuddy.org> wrote:

> RFC2821 says:
>    -  The domain name given in the EHLO command MUST BE either a primary
>       host name (a domain name that resolves to an A RR) or, if the host
>       has no name, an address literal as described in section 4.1.1.1.
>
> So, pretty much, HELO or EHLO greeting _must_ match to an IP.
>
> (RFC821 actually wanted the HELO to match the connecting host, but
> 2821 just says it must be an A record or an address literal).

Thank you for posting that.

Despite the garden path we got down, my previous comments didn't say
that you had to accept *anything*, but merely that too stringent of a
check would eliminate some valid mailers.  There's nothing like
stirring a can of worms :)

Devin