[CentOS] CentOS 6

Tue Jul 19 19:04:45 UTC 2011
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

  On 07/19/2011 10:21 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I finally switched workstations, and am running into a lot of truly
> annoying details with CentOS 6, and the software with it. For one, I'm
> doing this by webmail, and this version of Firefox *insists* on putting
> what I'm typing in gray, rather than black. For another, I despise the new
> version of thunderbird, since it now shows the full subject, if I have
> what they used to call the preview pane... and then take six more lines to
> do it, which I can't make go away.[1]
Yes - thunderbird 3 uses more screen real-estate, also I just found out
the funambol plug-in to allow me to sync and backup my contacts is not
available and doesn't appear to be getting any nearer - this is just
about enough to get me back onto 5.6!!
> rxvt, which is my preferred terminal, comes up with about 6 pt type, and
> I'm trying to find out how to change that, as well as bringing up all
> seven of my sessions in a directory under my home, instead of home....
>
> *sigh* Hopefully, 6.1 will fix at least *some* things...
yumex also has some quirks - it doesn't remember its setting and thus
always goes back 'update' list - not normally a problem as I normally
use yum, but when building up a new system or looking for packages yumex
normally just makes life easier.
>           mark, who doesn't want something that looks like M$....
>
> 1. All mailreaders used to show this information at the top of the email,
> and hide or unhide the rest of the headers... but no matter what, if I
> scrolled down, they went off the top of the screen, not stayed there
> occupying space.

<rant>
you made no comment about anaconda - I found it seems to have moved
backwards - a lot!
Could not find out how to set up my md-raid in any of the offered panels
- so I ended up using a UBCD disk to do the partitioning and setting the
"fd" mode - then anaconda showed the /dev/mdx devices - finally!
Then when I tried rescue mode it asks for a restore image - I hadn't
even got to the point where this could be done - I was looking for a
runlevel 1 type of console so I could make some changes - I still don't
know what I did, but eventually managed to crash out of the installer
and get a root prompt.
As I said - seems to have gone seriously backward.
</rant>
Having vented, I must say the rest of CentOS 6.0 seems to work well -
I'll keep exploring.