[CentOS] CentOS 6 PXE boot:Unable to download the kickstart file

Wed Jul 20 15:15:56 UTC 2011
Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk>

> Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:
>> We have CentOS 6 manual installation working by PXE booting from a RHEL5.6
>> PXE/TFTP server.  However, when we add a Kickstart file in the PXE
>> configuration:
>>
>>     kernel CentOS-6-i386/vmlinuz
>>     append load_ramdisk=1 initrd=CentOS-6-i386/initrd.img network
>> ks=nfs:130.226.86.4:/u/rpm/kickstart/ks-centos-6-clean-i386.cfg
>>
>> then the CentOS 6 client install reports "Unable to download the kickstart
>> file".
>> The console 3 reports "failed to mount nfs source".
>> We believe the NFS server is OK because we can install CentOS5 clients in
>> this way.
> <snip>
>> However, on the centos list I see some people who apparently go Kickstart
>> to work with CentOS 6 - but how did they do it?
>>
>> Question: What special configuration is required for either 1) PXE or
>> 2) the DHCP server?
>
> I just cloned the 5.6 install, and it worked.
>
> Well, kinda. You may have seen, or missed, the thread a couple weeks ago,
> about this: we do have a local repository, and comps.xml was missing.
> Then, having now switched to my new workstation, I found that window
> manager names changes (like KDE and Gnome), so they weren't installed, and
> for some reason, xorg was not a prerequisite. OO.o, btw, has had a group
> name change as well.

I fail to see how your repository problem is related to my Kickstart PXE/NFS
problem.  We can install CentOS 6 (no Kickstart) without problems using PXE.
It's the NFS-mounting of the Kickstart-file which fails.  What I'd love to learn
is how others have made NFS/Kickstart work...

/Ole