[CentOS] managing a rack full of centos servers

Wed Jul 20 17:00:11 UTC 2011

Iain Morris wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at arinet.org>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Patrick Lists
>> <centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> There is http://spacewalk.redhat.com/
>>
>> They have it? Awesome!
>> Thanks for the info!!
>
> Spacewalk is great, but be prepared for some significant configuration
> time and energy.  Also, it requires Oracle (postgres is in progress
> last I checked).  The "free" version of Oracle has a single processor
> limitation.
<snip>
Two and a quarter years ago, I got stuck with Spacewalk where I had a
short-term contract, and it was a horror. (Note that while I was working
on it, it went from 0.4 to 0.5) As Iain said, it requires Oracle, and I
found I had to add an addition setting to Oracle - the free version has a
max of 1G of memory, and I had to max it out (I think I set shared memory
in Oracle's control panel to 994M), just to get it to work. It's also
complex to configure and use, so if you're not looking at dozens or
hundreds of machines, I wouldn't use it.

         mark